Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Bubble That is College

I am sitting in my room on my day off from work today, bored. I didn't have this problem last year when I was in college. I had so much work I didn't have time to be bored. It was a good thing. I didn't have to worry about what to do with my life; all I had to do was focus on getting my assignments done. Now I am stuck in a vast unknown. I don't know what to do in the next five minutes or the next five years. There is no one telling me "Do This!" and I probably wouldn't listen if there was. College insulated me from the real world and if it did that to me it probably has done that to others. I found myself in my last year of college not knowing what my next move should be. I decided not to go blindly to graduate school with no real direction and so I ended up here. Living with my parents, working a job I could have gotten out of high school. College was originally meant to be, I suppose, training for a specific career. I treated college as a playground. A place where I could dabble in interesting subjects with no concrete plans of what to do with my education. I guess if I had thought more about my future maybe I could have prevented this year. I don't know but I like to believe things happen for a reason and maybe there is a reason I had to go through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment