Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Veganism: "It's SO Easy"...um, Not so Much

In the past year or so, I've been toying with the idea of veganism. I mean if you're a vegetarian for the animals (which I am) it just makes sense. Dairy cows and chickens suffer just as much, if not more, than animals raised solely for their flesh (just google it if you don't believe me). Besides the fact, in the end, they, too, are slaughtered for their meat. Anyway, so I knew it made sense for me to go vegan, but putting it into practice was another matter. Animal products are in EVERYTHING, so unless I wanted to make all my food from scratch, (yeah right!) it was gonna be hard. I ended up trying vegan foods but still remaining a lacto-ova vegetarian. I went on like this until August, when I finally got the push I needed to take the plunge into veganism. I visited Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen, New York and it was absolutely amazing. I was there for a two day conference and I got fed all vegan food. I saw it was possible to eat vegan and knew it was time I gave it my all. When I went back I gave up dairy and eggs, just like that. And you know what, it was easier than I thought it would be. Maybe it was because I was so convinced veganism was the right choice (for me, for the animals, for the world). Flash forward to November and I come across this blog article. http://voraciouseats.com/2010/11/19/a-vegan-no-more/ I shrugged it off at first, but then I actually read it and what she said seemed sincere. What if she was right and veganism was not only bad for my body, but not saving any animals? I was deeply disturbed. Being unsure of my beliefs led me to apathy. I started eating non-vegan foods here and there. They do taste good and I no longer had the firm background I had before to refuse them. I guess this gets me now to the title of my post. Being vegan isn't easy. I read on so many animal rights websites that it's so simple to be vegan but it's not. I don't say this to put down veganism (I'm actually for it), I just think we should be honest about what it is. To be vegan you really have to be committed; non-vegan food is everywhere. Also, I find it much harder to see the connection between animal suffering and a piece of cheese than between animal suffering and a piece of flesh. I'm not the only one who feels this way. I remember in Melanie Joy's book, Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows, she found that vegans were disgusted when meat touched their food but not when dairy or eggs did. I live in a small town, so vegan options just aren't out there that much. Being vegan means saying no to food a lot, which can be tough. I think it's easier to be vegan if you live in a city where there are more options available but I still don't think it's a piece of cake.

2 comments:

  1. I am a vegetarian and have thought a number of times of going vegan, but have hesitated for my own reasons. I was very interested in reading yours and agree it is not a piece of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently pretty vegan, please message me if you have any questions about veganism.

    ReplyDelete