Monday, January 24, 2011

Better, but still...

Right now I'm working at Chipotle. They serve what they claim is humanely raised meat. I found out from my general manager that one of their meat suppliers is Niman Ranch, so I googled the place and this is what I found.


I must admit the pigs do seem to be living pretty good lives. Still, the whole thing doesn't sit right with me. Yes, it's better than factory farming, but those pigs are going to ultimately be killed. Maybe humane farming is the best we can realistically hope for in terms of animal rights. People don't seem too eager to give up their meat. I just don't like the idea of an animal being slaughtered for my meal.

1 comment:

  1. I watched the video, and I have to admit the pigs looked really happy. I think this method of farming is infinitely better than the alternative (factory farming), but it still made me sad that all of those pigs were set to be slaughtered. It seems like it would be really hard for the farmer because he did seem to genuinely care for and love the pigs.

    On a side note I wonder if these pigs go to a different place for slaughter than factory farmed ones...

    ReplyDelete